Can you believe the semester is almost over?
Spring Classes – Blackboard & Canvas
All spring classes are available to faculty now in both Blackboard and Canvas. Remember, MiraCosta will support Blackboard, Moodle, and Canvas through spring of 2018, with full conversion to Canvas by summer 2018. Please see the TIC page on Canvas for lots of great resources including workshop schedules (two coming up on 12/9 and 12/13, and many planned for Flex week), recordings of previous workshops, and links to much more. Also, if you have not seen the FA’s position on the Canvas transition, it is recommended reading – negotiations are ongoing.
Online Instructors: Please Update Online Class Schedule
For all those teaching an online or hybrid course this spring, please make sure your class description is up to date on the separate Online Class Schedule page. This is especially important over the next few semesters as students will be wondering which course management system to find each class in. You can provide that and other important information there to help students prepare for success in your class.
Spring Student Orientations to Online Learning
I will offer twelve online learning orientation sessions this spring. Please share the schedule (not updated for spring yet, but will be soon) with your online/hybrid students and encourage their attendance. I will offer a few that are based in Canvas; most will continue to be in Blackboard. Online instructors can pull a report from SURF of the students who have completed this orientation.
Online Academic Support Resources for ALL Students
As you create your spring syllabi and course resources, please make your students aware of online tutoring, online writing center, and the 24×7 online ask-a-librarian service. These services are open to all MiraCosta students in any class!
Blackboard Quiz/Test Bug
As finals approach, if you give Blackboard quizzes or tests that include open-ended questions, and that present all questions at once, please review the details about a problem with students using Internet Explorer 11 to take your quiz or test.
Blackboard Archive Access
Access to the Blackboard archive server, which contains courses from spring 2015 and earlier, is now restricted to AIS helpdesk staff. You may view directions for requesting an export of courses from spring 2015 or earlier if you need to copy in an old course to update for spring.
Interested in Open Educational Resources (OER)?
Online Teaching Conference
After a few years in San Diego, the CCC Online Teaching Conference will be held in Anaheim June 19-21. The call for presentations has been extended until January 31, and the Office of Online Education will fund travel costs for all MiraCostans who have presentations accepted at the conference.
More Professional Learning Opportunities
- Take a 4 week online teaching class starting January 9 from @One. The Introduction to Teaching with Canvas course is free for MiraCosta faculty with the OEIfree4U code.
- Get up to speed on 3CMediaSolutions, a great resource for storing, streaming, and curating instructional video.
- Watch a live or archived webcast about Turnitin.
- Watch a live or archived webinar from the Instructional Technology Council, aimed at supporting distance education in community colleges. MiraCosta has a membership; contact me for details.
- Watch an archived online Flex workshop led by me or Karen Korstad from this fall or past semesters.
- Santa Barbara City College is hosting a free event, Pedagogy to Increase Student Success: An Unconference for Online Educators on Feb. 25, 2017.
Best wishes for a great break!
Jim Julius, Ed.D.
Faculty Director, Online Education
Vice President, Academic Senate