Zoom provides a reliable, easy-to-use, mobile-friendly tool for live, recordable online presentations, meetings, and discussions with audio, video, chat, screen sharing, polling, and more. It can be used within Canvas or independently.
Zoom Pro is available to all MiraCosta faculty and staff at no charge. Students don’t use the Zoom Pro account but can use free Zoom basic accounts. Nobody at MiraCosta should be paying anything to use Zoom!
The version of Zoom that MiraCostans use changed after the fall 2020 semester; MiraCosta Zoom is now accessed at miracosta-edu.zoom.us rather than conferzoom.org or cccconfer.zoom.us. Faculty need to sign in to Zoom with their MiraCosta College login and password to obtain unlimited pro (“licensed”) access to all features of Zoom, including:
- Unlimited meeting lengths and very large numbers of attendees
- Recordings “in the cloud” so that you do not need to manage large files of your recorded meetings
- Auto-transcription of your cloud-based Zoom recordings
This page includes basic technical how-to information and resources on using Zoom in general, and Zoom use in tandem with Canvas. Please see our separate Teaching with Zoom at MiraCosta College page for more detailed tips about teaching securely, effectively, and accessibly with Zoom.
Log On to Zoom at MiraCosta College
- To access your Zoom account via the web go to: https://miracosta-edu.zoom.us
Sign in with your MiraCosta College employee account and two-factor authentication (2FA).
- To sign into Zoom app(s) on desktop and mobile:
- Open the installed Zoom app. (Download the latest Zoom apps from http://zoom.us/download )
- Select the ‘Sign in with SSO’ button or option at the app login screen
- Enter our ‘Company Domain’: miracosta-edu
- You will be directed to our MiraCosta login portal where you will enter your MiraCosta credentials.
MiraCosta Zoom Help and FAQS
- Zoom help for MiraCosta staff and faculty is through the Employee Helpdesk:
- (760) 795-6850
- Live Chat with the Employee Helpdesk
- Zoom help for MiraCosta students is through the Student Help Desk
- General MiraCosta Zoom account help and FAQs (You will need your MiraCosta credentials to access this).
- How do I get a Zoom account? If you had a pro Zoom account through ConferZoom prior to 2021, it should have been automatically migrated to the MiraCosta Zoom, and there’s nothing you need to do. If you did not previously have a Pro Zoom account, and need to create a MiraCosta Zoom account, sign in to the MiraCosta HelpDesk in the Portal and select the NEW Zoom Account Request option.
- What if I’m having trouble with my Zoom account? Sign in to the MiraCosta HelpDesk in the Portal and click the User Accounts button to request help.
- What happened to my Zoom recordings made before 2021? They are still in your Zoom account! The old links to Zoom recordings will still work, but a message will briefly appear when people click an old link. If you update an old recording link with the new MiraCosta Zoom URL (replace cccconfer.zoom.us with miracosta-edu.zoom.us in the link) it will work seamlessly.
- What happened to my recurring Zoom meetings I set up before 2021? Similar to your recordings, old links to recurring Zoom meetings will still work, but a message will appear when people click an old link. If you go to your Zoom account, you’ll see that your meetings have been migrated in, and you can get a new invitation. You can also simply update a meeting link created before 2021 with the new MiraCosta Zoom URL (replace cccconfer.zoom.us with miracosta-edu.zoom.us in the link).
- What happened to Reports from Zoom meetings held before 2021? They are gone, sorry.
- How much storage do I have for Zoom recordings? As of spring 2021, there is not a limit; however, this may change in the future if we do not manage our recordings well. Please delete recordings that you do not need.
The following Zoom trainings, documentation, and resources can help you stay informed:
- Zoom Online Live Training Webinars & Recordings
- Zoom Help Center
- Zoom Releases By Date – Zoom Help Center
- Zoom Status
- Zoom Blog
- Enabling Automated Real-Time Captions in Zoom
Using Zoom with Canvas
You can schedule and run video meetings directly within Canvas, using the new Zoom integration (this is MUCH improved over what what we had prior to 2021). To get started and learn more about the Zoom/Canvas integration, see directions below; for more details you may be interested in:
- the Using Zoom with Canvas FAQ.
- downloading the full instructor guide for the new Zoom integration within Canvas (PDF)
You may also share Zoom links and recordings inside of Canvas without using the integration.
Canvas Integration with Zoom
- Enter your Canvas course
- Click Settings on the course menu
- Click the Navigation tab
- Click the 3 dots to the right of Zoom and select Enable.
- Click the Save button
- Click the Zoom course menu item which will appear in your course menu.
Now you can schedule and access Zoom meetings from inside of Canvas.
Viewing All My Zoom Meetings in Canvas
When you first enter Zoom on Canvas you will see only the Zoom meetings associated with the Canvas course you entered from. To see and access all Zoom meetings within your account, click the link ‘All My Zoom Meetings‘.
This page provides guidance on teaching with Zoom, and assumes some basic familiarity with Zoom. Visit the Getting Started, Getting Help, and Using Zoom with Canvas page for details and technical information about getting started with Zoom at MiraCosta College.
Zoom Teaching Tips: Inclusion, Equity, Privacy, Security, and more
- Zoom Tips for MiraCosta Faculty (2 page document)
- Zoom Waiting Room Recommendations for MiraCosta Faculty (1 page document)
- Protecting Student Privacy: Guide for Synchronous Instruction at MiraCosta College
- Zoom Settings for Student Privacy
- MiraCosta College Commitment to Equitable Use of Cameras in Online Instruction & Assessment
- 8 Ways to Be More Inclusive in Your Zoom Teaching – Chronicle of Higher Ed article by Hogan & Sathy
- Beyond Lectures: Synchronous Student-to-Student Interaction – @ONE article by CCC instructor Maritez Apigo
MiraCosta Zoom how-to videos from faculty
Please note that some of the following resources may refer to the version of Zoom that MiraCostans used in fall 2020 or earlier; MiraCosta Zoom is now hosted at https://miracosta-edu.zoom.us rather than https://conferzoom.org.
- Teaching with Zoom (Fall 2020 workshop) – CSIT faculty member Rick Cassoni provides a 1-hour overview of Zoom, from the beginnings of signing up for a Zoom account, to recommended settings within your account and creation of meetings, to the basics of using Zoom for both live and recorded online instruction.
- Connecting with Students in Zoom (Spring 2020 workshop) – Letters faculty member curry mitchell shares a few simple activities and methods for scaffolding an interactive, collaborative Zoom workshop with students. curry also discusses flexible and compassionate practices–such as attendance policies and creating asynchronous means for participation–to ensure we’re using Zoom to help each other. (Note, this session included 10 minutes in breakout rooms but the recording was not paused, so you can skip from when that happens at around minute 39 ahead to minute 49 of the recording.)
- Sharing your iPad screen on Zoom – Math faculty member Angela Beltran-Aguilar demonstrates in this short (under 3 minutes) video how to use an iPad as your sharing source for teaching with Zoom.
- Capturing a separate screencast of a Zoom session – Psychology faculty member Robert Kelley demonstrates in this very short (under 2 minutes) video how to capture a portion of a Zoom session, excluding student participants, in order to be able to share the recording more widely without FERPA concerns.
Captioning for Zoom
- Enabling Automated Real-Time Captions in Zoom – We now have access to automated captions inside our Zoom meetings – both live and recorded. While automated captions are a great resource for our students, they are not a replacement for professional captions when those are needed.
- Zoom cloud recordings auto-transcribe and caption recorded Zoom sessions within a few hours (typically) of completion of the recording. Zoom’s interface makes it easy to fix up the captions so they are fully accurate.
- If you have a student who requires live captions and you are using Zoom, please contact MiraCosta SAS.
- You will need to make a one-time change in your Zoom account settings to enable live captioning, and at the start of each Zoom session with captioning, you will need to assign the captioning role to the proper person in your meeting. See directions for both.
To: All faculty, IS Deans
You may have received messages recently indicating that your Zoom recordings may be deleted. This message is intended to clarify what is happening, what might happen, and what we recommend.
- No Zoom recordings will be deleted imminently. You may hear from colleagues in the CCC system about a message from the Chancellor’s Office saying this would happen next week. That decision has been reversed, and it turns out it wouldn’t have applied to us at MiraCosta anyway, since MiraCosta now has more control over its Zoom account (many colleges in the system still do not).
- There is, however, a longer-term concern about the storage of Zoom recordings. Cloud storage is not infinite and not free, and Zoom recordings can be large. If we do not manage our individual recordings well, we could face involuntary deletion of recordings in the future.
What should you do now?
- Log into your Zoom account and click Recordings on the left-hand menu. Select all recordings that you do not need and delete them.
- If you have any meetings set up for automatic cloud recording but you rarely use the recordings, consider changing that setting so that you only record what you need.
In the future, If our Zoom cloud storage space reaches its limit, users may need to download recordings out of Zoom as MP4s and upload them into other video storage/streaming systems such as Canvas Studio, 3C Media Solutions, or YouTube. This can be a time-consuming process for long recordings, and you may also lose the transcription and chat records, and you would also need to change your links in Canvas courses and elsewhere to reflect the new location of the recording.
So, it’s in everyone’s interest to make sure we are only keeping Zoom recordings that we really need, and regularly deleting the rest.
If a decision is ever made to automatically delete certain Zoom recordings, the message will come from a MiraCosta College employee. It’s our hope that we this won’t be necessary, or that if it does happen, it would only impact videos that are no longer in use.
If you need assistance with managing your Zoom recordings and/or meeting settings, please contact the employee help desk.
– Jim, in partnership with AIS
Jim Julius, Ed.D.
Faculty Director, Online Education
What is happening to your Current MiraCosta Zoom Account:
ConferZoom will migrate your current ConferZoom/MiraCosta Zoom user account and saved recordings to the MiraCosta College District Zoom account 12/21/2020 starting at 9 PM. All Zoom user accounts should be fully migrated after approximately 4 hours.
Why is this happening:
Currently all California Community College Zoom user accounts are hosted together, causing issues when individual districts require capabilities not appropriate for the entire CCC population. For example, Canvas can integrate directly with Zoom, providing Zoom Canvas calendar access and the ability to create and manage Zoom meetings directly from within Canvas, however with the combined CCC account this integration has been limited and prone to problems.
How to Access your Migrated Zoom Account:
Starting 12/22/2020 you will access Zoom via a new login link and with your MiraCosta credentials.
- To access your Zoom account via the web, please click https://miracosta-edu.zoom.us and log in with your MiraCosta College employee account and two-factor authentication (2FA). We will be updating links on the MiraCosta website to reflect this new link.
- To log into the Zoom app(s) both desktop and mobile:
- Open the installed Zoom app.
- Select the ‘Sign in with SSO’ button or option at the app login screen
- Enter our ‘Company Domain’ miracosta-edu
- The full domain will show as “miracosta-edu.zoom.us”
- You will be directed to our MiraCosta login portal where you will enter your MiraCosta credentials and 2FA.
What you need to do after the migration:
- Re-apply any custom ZOOM security settings that you had previously applied.
- Convert any external embedded links, see below.
- If you used your ConferZoom account with multiple institutions, please check with them to verify their Zoom requirements and offerings.
How to Convert your Current Zoom Meeting and Recording Links:
If you have shared Zoom recording links or meeting links on a website or within Canvas, you will need to adjust each Zoom link on those pages as follows, although please note that Zoom is working on an update that will automatically redirect old links with an anticipated release date of Feb 2021. If you need people to access your recordings and/or meetings before the update is ready, please follow this step.
Current Link Example 1
Modified Link Example 1
Current Link Example 2
Modified Link Example 2
MiraCosta Zoom Resources:
- For the latest information on this migration including answers to migration questions click here.
- For General MiraCosta Zoom account help and FAQs including what does and does not migrate.
- For Canvas integration help and guidance on using Zoom for teaching
- To enter a Helpdesk ticket for Zoom help
https://portal.miracosta.edu/Resources/knowledgebase/helpdesk/default.aspx and click on the zoom button.
- For Employee account help
https://portal.miracosta.edu/Resources/knowledgebase/helpdesk/default.aspx and click on the ‘User Account’ button
If you have any questions comments or concerns about this change please feel free to contact me,
Infrastructure Systems Engineer