Connecting your Canvas Course to Various Publisher Tools
If you are using a publisher website for materials and assessments in your course, you may be able to connect your Canvas course to the publisher course site and/or integrate publisher-provided tools so that students can connect to the publisher resources from Canvas without a separate login. Some publishers also allow for ‘deep integration’ (or ‘deep linking’) between your Canvas course and the publisher site, so that assignments and quizzes are individually accessible in your Canvas course and also integrated with your Canvas grade book.
NOTE: When you adopt a third party tool for use in your class, it is your responsibility to ensure it is compliant with state and federal regulations and MiraCosta policies. Please carefully evaluate the tool for issues such as accessibility and student privacy. Contact Jim Julius, faculty director of online education, if you have any questions about this.
Enabling a Pre-Installed Global Publisher LTI in Canvas at MiraCosta College
The following publisher tools (aka “LTIs”) are currently pre-installed globally in MiraCosta’s Canvas environment.
|Cengage Learning MindLinks/MindTap|
|McGraw-Hill Connect & Campus|
To connect a Canvas course to any of these, go to your Canvas course, click Settings in the course menu and the Navigation tab at the top. This enables you to alter your course menu:
Scroll down, and you will find hidden items that can be added to your course, including the publishers listed above. If your publisher is listed, drag it up to your course menu, or click the button at the right and then the +Enable option to add it to your course. Then be sure you click the Save button at the bottom of the page.
Cengage Learning MindLinks/MindTap
Cengage has numerous products that integrate with Canvas, such as MindTap, CourseMate, Aplia, and CengageNOW.
- Link to Your Cengage Textbook from Canvas – documentation on using these and other Cengage tools with Canvas.
McGraw-Hill Connect & Campus
McGraw-Hill Connect is another popular publisher being used by many instructors.
Here are some resources on using McGraw-Hill Connect with Canvas:
- Connect – Canvas Resources (for instructors)
- Pairing your Canvas course with a new Connect account or an existing Connect account
- Deploying Connect assignments to Canvas
SIMnet works similarly to Connect.
Access Pearson (MyLab & Mastering)
Pearson users! The integration between Pearson and Canvas had a major update following the spring 2023 term. MyLab is now called PearsonAccess. Links to Pearson MyLab tools from copied courses will no longer work and must be updated. Please see the Pearson Canvas integration guide for instructors and Pearson Transition guide to learn more, and reach out to your Pearson rep if you need assistance.
- Pearson MyLab & Mastering has tools and resources for a number of different disciplines, and luckily they all use the same interface for deep integration with Canvas.
- Pearson Canvas Integration Guide for Instructors – MiraCosta College Canvas has the Pearson LTI 1.3 integration Pearson Access.
- Pearson Transision Guide – for migrating a copy of a previous LMS course paired with LTI 1.1 to 1.3
- Pearson Higher Education Support/ Customer Service & Technical Support Website
- Pearson Higher Education Help & Support Website – help articles for faculty and students
- CustomerSuccess@Pearson.com – Email questions to Pearson Customer Success.
W.W. Norton primarily does books, but they also have tools like InQuizitive. See:
- How to Add a Norton Digital Learning Tool to a Canvas Course
- Canvas – How to add an InQuizitive link with LMS Integration
Is your publisher not on this list?
Many LTIs can be installed at the course level by a faculty member. Contact your publisher for more information and directions on how you can install their tool at the course level. And please keep in mind the note at the top of this page about faculty responsibility for compliance of third-party tools with state and federal regulations and MiraCosta policy.
Requests for the installation of Global LTIs must be made to the Online Education department through your department, and will only be done when multiple faculty are using the tool. We are not able to add global LTI’s on demand. Adequate evaluation and testing is required prior to installation of Global LTIs. As mentioned above, individual faculty may independently install publisher LTI tools in their Canvas courses.
Some individual publishers can be found in the Canvas App Center, which is the mechanism for individual Canvas users to add LTI tools into their courses. Here are a few guides to the Canvas App Center.