Online Ed News You Can Use Spring ’22
One month to go and so much to do! Sorry for another email, but there’s some good stuff here! I’ve tried to keep it brief – please take a quick look…
Fall Schedule Released in SURF, which means …
- Classes assigned to you in SURF for fall have shells available for you to begin developing in Canvas.
- If any of your fall (or summer!) classes are Zero Textbook Cost (ZTC) or Low Textbook Cost (<$40), you should designate them as such in SURF so that the classes will have the appropriate logo in SURF. And don’t forget to inform the bookstore of your course material details, even if you are using zero-cost resources.
Professional Learning Opportunities related to online teaching
- This week:
- The CCC Online Teaching Conference returns to an in-person event, in Long Beach June 29-July 1. If you would like support to attend, just reply to this email. Online Ed can cover conference registration but likely not hotel expenses.
- The free online Cal OER conference is August 3-5. The call for proposals is open now through June 6.
- Anytime: Connect with a MiraCosta peer faculty helper for any question related to online teaching, big or small – available through May! And/or schedule an appointment with our Instructional Designer, Nadia Khan.
Canvas Improvement Voting
Canvas users can influence Canvas development through Idea Conversations in the Canvas Community. The CVC has curated a set of links to ideas reflecting input from Canvas users throughout California’s community colleges. Please take a few moments to review these ideas and cast your votes (the linked document includes voting instructions).
Internationalize Your Course, Virtually!
Have your students learn together with students abroad, creating a Virtual International Exchange (VIE). In a VIE, students can study, discuss, or create a project with students from another country. It is an experience that greatly enriches the learning process. If you are interested, the International Education Committee can help you with finding a partner and support you in communicating with faculty abroad, creating and implementing the project, and much more! This is applicable to any discipline. It is possible to work with every part of the world. To learn more, explore the local VIE site, and/or contact Andrea Petri (firstname.lastname@example.org) with any questions you may have.
Jim Julius, Ed.D.
Faculty Director, Online Education