End of Spring 2022 Online Ed Tips and Opportunities
Can you believe summer is almost here? Before you go, here are some quick reminders and opportunities as you wrap up spring online classes and look ahead to summer.
Canvas End of Term
After June 7, your spring Canvas classes go into read-only mode for you and your students. If you wish to remove access to any of your course materials for your current students beyond this semester, you need to do so by then. Review our Canvas end-of-term guide for details. It also discusses what you need to do if you have any students who will receive Incomplete grades.
Now and Throughout the Summer: Instructional Designer Support
If you’d like help with any semester wrap-up tasks, or if you begin working on fall classes during the summer and are looking for support, please connect with our Instructional Designer, Nadia Khan.
Summer Professional Learning Opportunities
- The Online Teaching Conference is back in person, June 29-July 1 in Long Beach. Contact me if you’re interested in funding to support your registration (but I don’t have funds to support travel expenses).
- You can register now for a great @ONE online teaching summer course. Let me know if you’d like financial support to attend one of these.
- A free online conference called Cal OER returns for its second year, Aug. 3-5. The call for proposals closes June 6. Conference registration (free) is open now.
- PlayPosit is offering many free webinars this summer. PlayPosit is similar to Canvas Studio, allowing you to embed interactive discussions and assessments within your videos, but provides far more options and activities.
- Prefer to take in some inspiring online education ideas at your own pace? Great online teaching resources created recently by and for MiraCostans include:
- Recordings of five one-hour workshops about all of the elements on the MiraCosta online teaching self-checklist
- Weekly online teaching challenges set up this spring by MiraCosta Online Mentors and our instructional designer, with a variety of guided ideas that will help you enhance an online class with a few hours
- “Five-minute fixes” and “More than five-minute fixes” videos created by MiraCosta Online Mentors
- MiraCosta Online Class Quality Guidelines, and an ever-growing Canvas course which includes MiraCosta faculty examples of how they have put the online class quality guidelines into practice in Canvas
- The MiraCosta DE Handbook (approved this month by the Academic Senate!)
Have a fantastic summer!
Jim Julius, Ed.D.
Faculty Director, Online Education