New Year 2016 Online Ed News You Can Use
Spring Student Orientations to Online Learning
I will offer ten online learning orientation sessions this spring, starting on Tuesday 1/27. Please share the schedule with your online/hybrid students and encourage their attendance. AIS is nearing the completion of a SURF roster report that will make it easy to see which of your students in a given class have completed an online learning orientation and when – look for more info from me on that soon.
Online Instructors: Please Update Online Class Schedule
For all those teaching an online or hybrid course this spring, please make sure your class description is up to date on the separate Online Class Schedule page. Students use this page to learn how to get started with your class, and you can provide other important information there to help students prepare for success. The TIC site has information on how to update your class info.
Online Academic Support Resources for ALL Students
As you finalize your syllabi and course resources, please make your students aware of online tutoring, online writing center, and the 24×7 online ask-a-librarian service (under “ASK US” at upper right). These services are open to all MiraCosta students in any class! Also, the OEI has made its set of student online learning readiness modules open and available to anyone – feel free to link to any that you like.
Course Management System Evaluation this Spring
This spring, MiraCosta College will be re-evaluating its course management system. The process began with demos by representatives of Blackboard, Moodle, and Canvas last week. These demos were recorded and will soon be available online. A taskforce has been formed and will be meeting soon to guide this evaluation process – stay tuned for more details and opportunities for you to provide input.
Online Ed Tools Notes
- Blackboard’s Video Everywhere tool is no longer working with YouTube.
- TechSmith Relay’s captioning feature is no longer working with YouTube.
- Blackboard’s Voice Tools will be discontinued this summer, and we now have VoiceThread available for faculty who wish to incorporate multimedia discussions into their classes. Learn more about VoiceThread.
- Through the Online Education Initiative, all online classes at MiraCosta now have free access to an online proctoring/authentication tool called Proctorio. You can learn a bit more about it here, or contact Jim Julius for more information.
Professional Learning Opportunities (got Flex?)
- Check out recorded archives of several Online Education workshops held during Flex week if you couldn’t attend live – or review archives from past semesters.
- Take @One’s new free self-paced course, Introduction to Teaching with Canvas if you’re curious about the Canvas course management system.
Jim Julius, Ed.D.
Faculty Director, Online Education