MiraCosta Faculty Support – Friday, March 28, 2020
Hello, Faculty Community!
We have made it to the last day of professional development for the transition to remote instruction! We have another great lineup of workshops for you. We want to take time on this last day to thank you all for your efforts to make this project a reality. We are especially thankful for all of the folks who volunteered their time, energy, and expertise to help us during this moment in history that is both anomalous and riddled with uncertainty.
Below you will find the workshop schedule for the day, 1-1 support, and some resources to use as we get ready to rejoin our students and finish the Spring semester!
Today (Friday), in our Zoom meeting for online workshops (same Zoom link for all workshops, all day, all week!)
9 – 10 AM – Virtual Coffee Hour
Join colleagues for socializing, brainstorming, Q&A, demonstrations, and Zoom practice.
10 AM – 12 PM – Equity-Minded Remote Instruction Practices with Rhonda Welch-Scalco, Pedro Morgado, and Shawn Firouzian
In this session, we will look at some great evidence-based equity-minded practices in remote learning or distance education. Participants and presenters engage in discussion about what these practices would look like in an ideal setting and what can be done now in this trying time to approximate them in our remote instruction.
12 – 1 PM – Academic Support Centers – with our Support Center Directors
Leaders from the Tutoring & Academic Support Center, Writing Center, STEM & Math Learning Centers, and Supplemental Instruction will share how their services will continue to be available to MiraCosta students, and invite faculty to consider how to help their students take advantage of these online support opportunities.
1 – 2 PM – A Review of Where We Have Been and a Discussion About What’s Next with Sean Davis and Jim Julius
Sean and Jim will recap the week, inviting participants to share what they’ve learned. We’ll go over key resources that faculty can continue to use moving forward, and look for input from participants about what additional forms of support will continue to be important.
2 – 3 PM – A Discussion with Academic Senate Leadership with Maria Figueroa and Luke Lara
This is a space for faculty to address AS leadership with questions, concerns, and things to share that can benefit faculty and our students as we resume our Spring semester next week.
3 – 5 PM – EXTENDED VIRTUAL HAPPY HOUR
We want to hear from you all about how the week has been and what you would like support to look like moving forward. Please bring your thoughts, ideas, questions, and suggestions as we wrap-up an unprecedented week amid unprecedented circumstances.
Also today, 1-1 support is available in Zoom from 10 am – 4 pm and 7 – 10 pm – connect with volunteer colleagues to help you think through your technological and pedagogical shifts!
- You can view the full schedule of this week’s workshops and collegial support, and find colleagues who will provide phone support if Zoom isn’t your thing. At this link, you’ll also find on the workshop schedule links to recordings of all workshops from the week so far! Additionally, you can visit the TRANSITION TO REMOTE INSTRUCTION WORKSHOP ARCHIVES to view these offerings.
- You can also contact a colleague from your discipline who is available for support
- The Remote Instruction FAQs are an important reference if you have questions about the shift to Remote Instruction
- The Canvas module on Instructional Continuity contains lots of practical advice and links to tutorials to help you through your transitional process
- There’s an open Google doc for MiraCosta faculty to share remote instruction resources and ideas – good stuff is being added there daily, including presentation slides and resources from this week’s workshops
Sean and Jim