All class sections scheduled for the spring semester now are available in Canvas where you can begin to work and build! If you expected a class to be set up for you, but aren’t seeing it in Canvas, check SURF to make sure the class is in the schedule and assigned to you.
There are many options for learning Canvas, including a 4-week online class led by MiraCosta faculty starting Nov. 13 – sign up here. Also, MiraCosta faculty now have access to a variety of great live online trainings conducted daily by Canvas staff through February 15. Create a training account using your miracosta.edu email address and then check out all the training events! Please contact me if you are looking for any guidance on which Canvas learning resources are best for you.
If you’re already using Canvas, you probably have noticed your spring classes showing up in your Dashboard. If you’d like your Dashboard to only show fall classes for now, check out this tutorial for customizing your course lists.
Remember, this spring is the final semester in which Blackboard and Moodle are options for teaching at MiraCosta. Blackboard classes for spring will NOT be automatically created – any faculty wanting to use Blackboard this spring must make a request using the Online Ed support request form.
Jim Julius, Ed.D.
Faculty Director, Online Education
By default the Grades tool will display all users in the roles Student, Sample Student, Tutor, Evaluator, and WC SI Leader in your Canvas course. This can make grading difficult as the additional roles will mix in alphabetically with your SURF Enrolled students.
For ease of grading, you can filter your grade book to only display SURF enrolled students.
From within Canvas:
- Click on Grades
- Select the Showing All Sections button.
- Select the section number that ends in -SURF
To display only users in the roles Sample Student, Tutor, Evaluator, and WC SI Leader
- Select the section number that end in -OTHER to view only non-SURF enrollment types.
To display all users together in Grades
- Select All Sections to view all enrollment types in the Grades sheet.
You cannot manually enroll users at the student permission level to your Canvas class.
If you have any of the following, follow the specified directions to have the user enrolled within your course at the student permission level.
- Faculty Evaluator: Contact Heidi Willis at (760) 795-6827 or email@example.com in the Office of Instruction when you need to provide access to a peer, your chair, etc. to conduct an evaluation.
- Tutor: Contact Janine Washabaugh at (760) 757-2121 ext. 7748 or firstname.lastname@example.org in the Tutoring & Academic Support Center (TASC) .
- Writing Center SI Leader: Contact Jessica Perez-Corona at (760) 757-2121 ext. 6339 or email@example.com in the Writing Center.
- Community Education Student: Contact Karen Turpin using the form here or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Include the confirmation of student enrollment through community education, the SURF ID of the student, and your 4 digit class number.
Also, keep in mind:
To add a TA or other MiraCosta College employee to your Canvas course with TA, designer, or observer permissions, see this set of instructions.
DO NOT attempt to add students to your course on Canvas. Students are automatically enrolled from SURF to your Canvas course several times a day.
You should not add anyone to Canvas as a teacher. Teachers are assigned via SURF.