Remote Instruction – Support and Resources for Faculty and Students
Hello, Faculty Community!
We hope things are going as well as can be expected. We want to keep you updated on the support and resources that are available to our students and you. Please review the following –
Support for students that faculty are encouraged to share and reinforce:
- The Student Support Hub in Canvas includes many excellent services featuring live online support experts from the library, tutoring, STEM/Math Learning Centers, Writing Center, Counseling, Career Center, Computer Labs, and Student Help Desk
- NetTutor was added to all Canvas course menus last month – this allows all students to access online tutoring directly from all Canvas courses; you can remove this from your course menu if you don’t think this would be helpful to your students
- The Student FAQs document is kind of like a virtual MiraCosta campus – students can find answers to many questions that they would have asked on campus, and find contact information to pursue any needs further
- The Reshaping Your School Schedule During Remote Instruction document has excellent info for students on good habits for online student success, self-care and mental health tips, online learning netiquette, Zoom tech tips, and more
- Students who are need of technology resources or have other major life concerns making it difficult to continue their studies, they can self-refer, or you can refer them for support via the CARE form
Support for faculty to better support students:
- The MiraCosta APC is dedicating staff time to helping faculty reach out to students who are falling behind. Fill out the attached form if you’d like them to work with you and your students.
- Faculty in need of webcams, headsets, or other resources to help you work from home should fill out the Help Desk request form on the Portal – details about this and additional remote working information is on AIS’s Remote Work Resources site
- The Remote Instruction Faculty FAQs document includes lots of guidance and resources for MiraCosta faculty at this time
- Check out the library support options if you want to ensure that students who were using textbooks on reserve in the library will continue to have access to crucial course material
- Check out the CVC-OEI schedule featuring daily online office hours for faculty as well as a variety of webinars
- Center of Urban Education – Webinar: The Importance of Equity-Minded Virtual Practices during COVID-19 on Thursday, April 23 at 12 pm.
Take good care,
Sean and Jim