Online Ed Summer 2019 News You Can Use
Happy summer, everyone! I’m back from sabbatical – huge thanks to Sean Davis who filled in wonderfully for me this spring. Here I have two quick, important updates that can’t wait for fall semester:
eTutoring Links Have Changed
Hopefully you are aware of eTutoring, which is available at no cost to all MiraCosta students year-round, including summer. If you’re teaching now, please check miracosta.edu/etutoring to learn more, and please share this link with your students if your discipline is supported.
On July 1, the organization supporting eTutoring changed. With that, the links to eTutoring changed as well. If you would like to provide your students with direct access to eTutoring in your courses, the key links are now:
- eTutoring login for MiraCosta: https://etutoringonline.org/login.cfm?institutionid=47&returnPage=&institution=MIRACOSTA_COLLEGE
- Live online tutor schedule for the current week: https://etutoringonline.org/public/schedule.cfm?sys=13
ARC is now Studio
Studio is a really great video tool that’s integrated inside of Canvas, which MiraCosta began piloting this spring when it was known as ARC. You’ll see Studio in the global Canvas menu (on the left). Studio is also integrated into Canvas’s Rich Content Editor toolbar:
- Faculty and students can easily record webcam and screencast video within Canvas
- Faculty and students can create and manage a library of videos for use in Canvas (and even to share outside of Canvas)
- Faculty can create discussion activities that are based on video (discussion comments are tied to specific points in the video)
- Faculty get data on student viewing of video
- Faculty can add quiz questions into videos; students respond while watching the video; results go directly into the gradebook
- Students can submit video assignments; faculty can provide feedback directly on specific moments in the video
- Videos can be automatically captioned and the captions can be easily edited
See MiraCosta’s Studio intro to learn more, and/or dive into the full set of Studio Guides.
Jim Julius, Ed.D.
Faculty Director, Online Education