Linguistic Bias, Part 2 – A SAFE Topics Podcast
All of us with the SAFE Topics podcast team are back at it with another episode! In this latest release, we continue our conversation with faculty on the topic of linguistic bias. The question we initially asked was: how do we welcome diverse voices and prevent privileging one dialect over the other? Join hosts Sean, curry, and Mana along with special guests Maria Figueroa (English), Denise Stephenson (Director of Writing Center), Eric Robertson (Communication Studies), and Andrea Petri (International Languages) as we go into part two of this most excellent episode!
Ways to Listen!
What to Listen For
- How is language like code as in computer science?
- Are we perpetuating bias in our professional language?
- Being a jerk vs misunderstanding.
- Respectability politics.
- “Erasing ourselves in order to be seen.”
- Focusing on the identity of a language.
- Dropping the F-Bombs to dismantle the system.
- Relaxing when you have privileged positions to be your authentic self.
- Formality vs informality.
- Pluralizing language.
- What makes language legit in your classrooms?
- Mana gets the chills at the end! 🙂
The S.A.F.E. Topics Team
curry mitchell – Faculty, Letters (Co-host)
Sean Davis – Faculty, Sociology (Co-host)
Mana Tadayon – Student, ASG President (Co-host)
Kelly Barnett – Intern and Music Technology Student (Audio Editor)
James Garcia – Associate Faculty, Sociology (Show Notes, Online)