The following are important tasks for faculty to complete at the end of each semester in Blackboard.
1. Grade Center: Review the Student Total Column and Export your Grade Center
At the end of the semester it is important to ensure that your student grades are calculated correctly. Also, export a copy of the grade center to an Excel file so that you have it available for future student grade questions and appeals.
2. Course Availability: Make Your Course Unavailable
To restrict students from access to your course, change the availability of each course from on to off.
3. Archive: Archive your Course
Download your course as a backup with students records for possible future use.
4. my Courses Module: Rearrange the my Courses Module Display
Change how your courses display within the my Courses module. You can display by term first, and then by course name or you can organize by course name only.
5. Exporting courses for use in the upcoming semester:
If you are exporting courses from Summer 2015 or later, follow directions found on the Export/Import from Summer15 or Later on Blackboard page.
Host your Blackboard Courses Online Free with COURSEsites by Blackboard
With COURSEsites you can:
- Create up to 5 course websites, free
- Engage students in social learning
- Weave multimedia into class content
- Assess performance and manage grades
- Share open education resources
- Teach open courses or MOOCs on the COURSEsites open education platform.
Export a Bb Course from MCC and Import to CourseSites by Blackboard:
Safari: How to set your browser to download the ZIP file and not unzip/extract it
Faculty that are trying to download the ZIP file that was produced during a Blackboard course export, downloads as a file folder and not a ZIP file. An opened ZIP file will not import to Blackboard and will produce the error:
Fatal: A fatal error has occurred. The reason for the error is:
The provided package could not be expanded or contains no file data.
For more information, consult the detailed log.
Status: The operation import did not complete.
This is happens due to a setting in Safari that automatically extracts the contents of a ZIP file when it is downloaded. To fix this and download the file in an unopened ZIP format:
- Open Safari
- Open the Preferences menu:
In Mac OS X: Click Safari > Preferences
- In the window that opens, click General
- Remove the check from the box beside “Open ‘safe’ files after downloading”
- Download the file again
Now try the Blackboard import again with the new file.
Welcome to the Spring 2015 semester at MiraCosta College.
If you are teaching with Blackboard make your Course Available for student view prior to or on the first day of your class.
If you would like to reuse course content you can export it and then import it to the new course.
You have a sample student account on Bb enrolled in each course you teach. This is so that you can experience your course as a student would and test your course content, settings, assignments, exams, etc. Your student account username has –student appended to your usual MCC login (Example: kkorstad-student).
If you need assistance with your password contact the Employee Helpdesk at 760-795-6850.
Have a good start to the semester.
Faculty Technology Specialist
Embed a YouTube Video within Blackboard with YouTube Embed Code
You can embed videos directly in to Blackboard with Embed Code from YouTube.
- Go to YouTube at https://www.youtube.com and find the video of your choice.
- Click on the video to open the video on its own page.
- Directly below the video select Share
- Select Embed
- Select all of the embed code displayed (starting with <iframe> and ending with </iframe>) and copy it.
Then return to Blackboard
- Go to Blackboard, to any content area, select Build Content
- Select Add Item
- Enter a name for your content item in the Name field. (this field is required).
- You should see 3 lines of tools in the Content Editor. If you see only 1 line (pictured below) – select the down arrow in the right corner to expand your toolbar to 3 rows of tools.
- Click the HTML button in the 3rd row of the toolbar.
- The HTML Code View window will appear. Paste your Embed code in to the HTML Code View window and select the Update button.
- You are now returned to the Content Editor window. Click the Submit button.
- Your embedded content will now display within this content item.
Note: Some browser will require you to refresh the page to view newly embedded content.