Zoom provides a reliable, easy-to-use, mobile-friendly tool for live, recordable online presentations, meetings, and discussions with audio, video, chat, screen sharing, polling, and more. It can be used within Canvas or independently. ConferZoom is the CCC “branding” of Zoom and is available to all faculty and students at no charge. Faculty need to sign up for Zoom through the ConferZoom site to obtain unlimited access to all features of Zoom. Recordings can be set to auto-transcribe to provide captioned recorded videos.
- More information about ConferZoom
- Sign Up – Free for MCC Faculty. Sign up with your @miracosta.edu email address
- User Guides
- Downloads (Client app, mobile app, browser and Outlook plug-ins
Canvas Integration with ConferZoom
Enable ConferZoom within your Canvas course.
- Enter your Canvas course
- Click Settings on the course menu
- Click the Navigation tab
- Click the 3 dots to the right of ConferZoom and select Enable.
- Click the Save button
- Click the ConferZoom course menu item which will appear in your course menu.
How to Use ConferZoom in Canvas
Review the following guide on how to use ConferZoom in Canvas.
Captioning for ConferZoom
- CCC Tech Connect typically provides live captioning for instructional uses of Zoom if you have a participating student who requires this support. As of spring 2020, however, they do not have funding to support requests for this. Hopefully starting in the summer this funding will be restored.
- For spring 2020, f you have a student who requires live captions and you are using Zoom, please contact MiraCosta DSPS.
- You will need to make a one-time change in your Zoom account settings to enable closed-captioning, and at the start of each Zoom session with captioning, you will need to assign the captioning role to the proper person in your meeting. See directions for both.
- Do note that Zoom cloud recordings auto-transcribe and caption your recorded Zoom sessions within a few hours typically of completion of the recording. Zoom has an interface that makes it easy to fix up the captions so they are fully accurate.