Blackboard Discussion Board Issue & Fix
The Blackboard system update on 9/25/16 (required for system security) introduced a bug within the discussion board tool.
Discussion boards which are set to Unavailable are no longer accessible by the instructor. If you have such discussion boards and you try to access them, you will get a message reading:
Either you are not logged in or you do not have the appropriate privileges to perform this action.
The workaround is you need to edit the discussion board and change its setting to Available. Then you will be able to access it. Clearly, this is not ideal, and we hope that Blackboard will fix this soon.
Here’s an addition to the workaround that will keep students out while the discussion board is set to Available. It’s a lot of extra work, but if you absolutely do not want students to access a discussion board while it is available for you to work on, you can follow this procedure.
It relies on using the “manage” option for the discussion board, and changing all the users with role “Participant” to instead have the role “Blocked”. The blocked users will still see the forum listed in the discussions, but when selecting it they will get the access denied message. But unblocked users (i.e. the instructor) can enter it.
- Ensure that your Discussion Board forum is set to Available and is accessible to you.
- Hover your mouse over the title for the forum then click the “options menu” icon (the circle with a “v” in it) that appears.
- Select “Manage” to see a list of all the people who have access to the forum
- If you have a large class, click the option to “show all”.
- Click the checkbox in the column header to select everyone in the course.
- Deselect the checkbox for anyone that should have continued access.
- Select “Edit Role”
- Select “Blocked”
Remember if you block students using the additional workaround above, you will need to unblock them when you want them to be able to post and/or view the discussion board. Unblock by following the same procedure above, but in step 8 assign everyone the role “Participant”.